Friday 20 May 2011

Visiting S-21 Prison and Choeung Ek

Again in two parts.


Part the first:
The day started badly with a poor night's sleep with no air-con. I had a complete sense of humour failure that was fixed by a giant mug of tea and some Vegemite on a baguette.






















And if that hadn't worked, then I had a large helping of perspective.













































































There is plenty of information on the net for anyone who wants to know more.


Part the second:
In the afternoon I walked round to the market near the guesthouse we are in. I had just caught sight of two of the boys from the tour (they are really sweet, they eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning and one doesn't eat the crusts on his sandwiches) and was heading for them when someone spat on me. It could have been an accident, or a sneeze, I'm not sure. I've been spat at before, but not on.

Just now I went out again and found a small shop selling handmade-by-Cambodians things. They had a big sign up about a school that they have set up in the country and I went in to ask about it. I had a conversation with the guy about it and then he asked me if I was married. I showed him my ring. He asked me if I had kids and I said no. He asked me when I was going to have kids...

We talked for a few minutes more and then he said:

“You are very beautiful. You should have babies. Especially, the mix is very beautiful with a Cambodian man. The mother's nose and the father's hair... very beautiful.”

1 comment:

Jayne said...

Yep that would give you a big dose of perspective. *shudder*