Saturday 8 September 2007

Waking up every morning in the dark

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:24:24 +0100 (BST)
From: Ceels
Subject: Waking up every morning in the dark.

I have just now escaped from the A’s common room. They trapped me in there to listen. They recon they can hear some thing in there whispering ‘I can see you, I can see you’ I told them that was bollocks. I didn’t tell them about the school ghost though (and I didn’t actually say bollocks).

The first night I walked along the main corridor in the dark, I had the distinct impression that there was someone following me. I looked and there was nobody there. I licked my lips, swallowed and very firmly told myself it was just a trick of the echoes. The next day at tea I made an off-hand comment about it. Mr Burnett, the deputy head, was standing just in front of me. He went very white and took me aside where the children couldn’t hear and asked me about it. Apparently he had had a similar sensation walking the same way in the same corridor and then went on to tell me all about Ellen, the Grey Lady who stands in the foyer, holding the hand of her son Timmy and laughing softly at anyone who talks to her. Have I mentioned this before???

I had the flu jab this morning. I was very brave and Matron gave me a smartie. I have a temperature now and I am being a wuss and Matron said, ‘Yes, you’ve got a temperature, go away and don’t bother me.’

I guess I should explain why I am leaving the school some eight months sooner than I was. It is not because I am sick of it or because I have killed any of the little girls, it is because the new headmistress doesn’t want any aussies next year. So I am looking for something new to do. If any one has any (sensible) suggestions I would be pleased to hear them. At the moment I am looking at cruise ships.

The pre-prep autumn fair is on on Friday and Jenny and I are busy making things to sell on the gifts stall. Or rather, we are racking our brains trying to think of something to make for the gifts stall given our limited resources. It is fun sitting around doing crafty stuff though.

Half term break begins on Friday. This will be good. I am going to go to sleep for the first bit (maybe three days) then I am going to explore the countryside. I was speaking to the Vicar yesterday and he suggested a walk over a nearby hill whose name I can’t remember and take a packed lunch as it will take all day to get there and back again.

Right now I am going to go up to my room and sleep.

love you

No comments: