Thursday 6 September 2007

I stepped on my first child

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 15:00:45 +0100 (BST)
From: Ceels
Subject: I stepped on my first child.

I have a day off today and it is quite lovely. I have been up in my room chilling and in front of the telly chilling and now I am in the computer room chilling. I have not decided what to do with the rest of the afternoon, maybe a bath and some more telly. I have been reading Sherlock Holmes as that seems a properly British thing to do. I have to admit that I have completely fallen in love with Holmes, this is the second time I have fallen in love with a fictional character (if you don’t count cartoon characters and Jean-Luc Picard). And my heart is quite broken that he does not love me back. I have the entire collection (borrowed form the library) so I have many more hours to spend in his company (all is not lost). I also borrowed a book called ‘High Fidelity’ by Nick Hornby from Jenny; it is about a guy and his angst filled relationships with women.

I stepped on my first child Friday night. It is my weekend on duty and I was up in Flo Night (the youngest girls’ dorm) and they were all being silly beans and jumping all over me. Of course I lost balance and trod on Florence. She yowled and I thought I saw blood on her toe. I thought that was it. I thought I would be on the next bus home. Fortunately, it was just an old bit of nail varnish and she was being melodramatic.

The small ones have all gone off to Splashdown today. They tried to convince me to come too, but by way of argument I hid in my room until the bus left. Splashdown is in Poole and is a collection of slides and fun water stuff. I did not fancy the idea of looking after 17 little girls in the midst of all that fun stuff.

We already had one accident this week when Phoebe was jumping from one concrete seat to another and slipped. She hit her shin and fell to the ground. In a bright voice I got half way through saying ‘Oh Phoebe, are you all right poppet?’ when I noticed that you could see her shinbone. She noticed too and let out a wail. It just went on and on and on, there were fifty-odd other girls standing around because they’d just finished a netball match against another school. I was standing amongst them trying to calm Phoebe and get a teacher’s attention at the same time. Meanwhile, she was wailing and the blood was dripping.

Once she got over the shock (and the trip to the Dorchester hospital and the stitches and the loss of blood) she was quite happy. She was an instant celebrity (it doesn’t take much).

I am feeling lacking in vitamins so I am going to go and eat a banana.

love you lots ____________________________________________________________

No comments: