Thursday 23 August 2007

Other people’s snot

Date: Wed, 22 Sept 1999 16:07:30 +0100 (BST)
From: Ceels
Subject: Other people’s snot.

I am absolutely shattered. This is my first break since seven o'clock this morning and I have been in the nursery all day.

I have wiped so many noses. I have to tell you that I hate snot more than anything else in the whole world. I put up with my own because I have to, and the kids here are rolling in it. Some just let it drip down their face in two pale green wet lines. Some end up bubbling away like little pots as they breathe. Some stick their fingers up their nose and leave a big sticky trail of it on the way to their mouths. Some wipe and leave thick slimy tracks up their cheek and sleeve. Some employ the old tongue technique, where they don't bother with the finger in the process of getting the snot from nose to mouth. I hate snot. I hate squidgy tissues.

But, I am not in the nursery again until tomorrow morning. So I have a whole night to concentrate on not being sick. Speaking of which, there is a tummy bug going round the boarding house. Josie was sick last night. Repeatedly. The first time she was sick she leaned out of bed and managed to get vomit a metre and a half across the floor. It was full of carrots. There are always carrots. Even if you haven't eaten any.

Two more have gone down with it today. But I am sure my heaving tummy is related only to the snot.

There is a ghost in the main building. Her name is Ellen and she followed me down the corridor the other night. I was hoping it was just my imagination, but when I was joking about it yesterday another of the new teachers said that he'd had exactly the same sensation as he was walking down the same corridor.

Apparently she appears in the foyer and the bursary, laughing. And sometimes she has a little boy with her, Timmy.

Sensible old people have claimed to have seen this ghost. I wonder if I’m being wound up. I hope I am just being wound up.

Ahhhhhh, the joys of an over-active imagination, an old building and dark, dark nights.

Hope you are well
lots of love
ceels ____________________________________________________________

No comments: