Friday 8 April 2016

Karma for coins

A priest stopped me in the street yesterday and sprinkled marigold petals on my hair, put a burgundy tika on my forehead, put his hand on my head and blessed me. He told me he was giving me very good karma and was helping me on my path to nirvana.

Then he asked me for money.

And I felt like I should give him some.

Another man came up and praised me for giving money to the priest because it was very good karma and the priest would help the street children and it was a very good thing to do.

He asked me what I was doing in Nepal and when I said I was going to Bhutan to teach as a volunteer, he was even more effusive and almost couldn't express how much karma I was going to receive and what a great thing it was that I was doing.

And it made me feel better.

I have been thinking a lot about just why I'm doing this and what good it's really going to do and why couldn't I just have gone overlanding in Africa like I planned to do. I have deep reservations about what it is going to be like at the school, that have only got worse with information that has come to light in the last few days. And some how the whole karma thing has made me feel better.

Skeptical about nirvana, not about being nice to people
Nepali humus is happy humus

No comments: