Friday 5 October 2007

'd' for dippy duck

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 19:02:19 +0000 (GMT)
From: Ceels
Subject: 'd' for dippy duck.


Finally. I have found the keys. Or rather, someone has put them back where they belong so I can once again steal them and sneak to the computer room when nobody is about. The school has had an inspection this past week. This is something that happens in England. I don’t think it happens in Australia. So all the teachers have been stressed out and really shitty. which of course has made our lives so much easier.

This last week has easily been the longest of my life, I have been working practically full time since Saturday last. And in the nursery this is no laughing matter. I collapsed into bed last night and slept for twelve hours straight. woke up. Then slept for another three hours.

This afternoon I went to Salisbury. Eleanor (the Maths and Latin teacher) was going with her fiancé to buy an engagement ring so Jenny and I got a ride. We went to see the Cathedral and I was suitably impressed. I got to see the Magna Carta (one of four existing copies).

We had to leave in a hurry because Jenny was meeting a friend at the bus station at eight past three. I have to admit that we went into Maccas and I had the chicken burger (and feel correspondingly shithouse now) and (the highlight of my day) I bought an enormous fleece. I am wearing it now and it just might keep me from freezing to death while I’m over here.

Did I complain about the cold earlier? Over this past week the temperature has plummeted and there is a bone biting wind. I didn’t know what I was complaining about before. I now fully understand what it is to have chapped hands and lips. And apparently it is going to get colder. I also can’t believe the dark. I see the dark at four o’clock in the afternoon, but I don’t believe it.

The weather over the last couple of days is working on convincing me not to go to Edinburgh for the winter. Ideally I’d like to go to Penzance, which is about as south as you can go. but have been advised against it because everybody leaves. Hmmmmmmmm. Salisbury is a pretty place. But it was raining and I don’t really want to go somewhere where it’s raining.... Bath has been suggested to me and Stratford on Avon and Cambridge. I don’t know. I am still too tired to make decisions like that. besides I still have twenty days (all the time in the world!).

I am all for writing down a few names, popping them in a hat and drawing one. I will wait and go to Edinburgh in March. Or maybe it would be a good thing to be able to say I’ve lived through a northern winter (assuming I lived through it). I don’t know (I wail).

I made another achievement on Friday. I took Jordan up to get his nappy changed, but Grace, one of the little pre-prep girls, vomited all over herself and up the corridor (you wouldn’t believe how much one of these little people can hold). As a result matron was a bit busy. So I gritted my teeth, and changed it myself.

Yay ceels I say.

Any way, I love you all but I have to leave before my fingers drop off with the cold.
ceels ____________________________________________________________

No comments: